Start the tour with the stunning beauty of St. Antanas Paduvietis
cathedrals (Katedros a. 2, Telšiai). Its origins date back to 1765. Tourists love and
the gate of the Cathedral cemetery, which is dedicated to the 600th anniversary of baptism, was reconstructed. They are artistically
depicts the history of the baptism of Samogitia. It is rare that a visit is possible without the requests of tourists
descend into the mysterious dungeons of the Cathedral.
Continue to Malūnai Hill, on which the 19th century. stood a windmill. Here is the Telšiai Orthodox
St. Mikalojus Church (Žalgirio St. 8, Telšiai), built in 1937. according to architect V. Kapylov
project. This is one of the most amazing examples of Cubist architecture. Inside the church you will see
an oak handmade iconostat (altar) created in the 19th century. in the middle.
Did you know that Telšiai Yeshiva (Iždinės St. 11, Telšiai), as a higher school of rabbis, was founded in 1873? founded by
Rabbi Gaon Leiser Gordon? 19th century Telšiai jeshibot is recognized as one of the largest in the world.
At that time, Telšiai was known in the world as the Jewish spiritual center.
Stop by St. Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (also known as the Little Church)
(Šviesos st. 2, Telšiai). It was founded in 1536. King Sigismund I. 1864 Russians former churches
began to build a Provoslav brick church on the site. 1935 the building was returned and reconstructed, and
adapted for Catholic ecclesiastical rites. You can now see old paintings in the church,
3 beautiful altars. From the hill of Vilnius, on which the church is built, a wonderful city opens up
Also visit the Rainiai Kanja Chapel (Rainiai, Telšiai district). At the beginning of World War II from
of the former Telšiai prison in 1941. on the night of June 24 to 25, the Bolsheviks to the Rainiai forest
took out and brutally killed 76 political prisoners there. The Rainiai Chapel was consecrated in 1991,
commemorating the 50th anniversary of the murder of martyrs. She also commemorated all the victims of Soviet terror.
A cross was erected in the woods next to the chapel, where political prisoners were tortured.
The last sacral object - Varniai Cathedral - St. Peter and Paul Church (M.Valančiaus St. 4,
Crows). This building was founded by the most famous 17th century. a representative of the nobility dynasty of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania,
Samogitian Bishop Kazimieras Pacas. It is rich in monuments of interior art: 12 altars, Samogitians
the gallery of portraits of bishops, the high altar and statues of the master of Königsberg, majestic and unique.
In the town of Varniai, on the right bank of the Varnelė, St. the church of the apostles Peter and Paul has already been granted the status of cultural value today, but the first cathedral of Varniai has not survived to this day. As early as 1421. traces of the sanctuary started to be built were not found later in archaeological excavations. Cathedrals in Varniai were erected several times - in 1463, later in 1519. and 1555 but all of them were either unfinished or have not survived to this day.
1681-1691 The Samogitian bishop, Duke Kazimieras Pacas (1667-1695), built a new brick church at his own expense, which was destroyed by fire for more than a hundred years. 19th century At the beginning of the 19th century, it was renewed by the Samogitian bishop Juozapas Arnulfas Giedraitis. 1864 By the order of Governor Mikhail Muravyov, when the diocesan center was moved to Kaunas, the Cathedral became the parish church of New Varniai.
The seat of the Bishop, included in the Register of Cultural Values, has survived in the church and remains from the time of Motiejus Valančius. Moving to Kaunas, Bishop. Those who cleaned this chair deliberately left it in Varniai to mark the old Cathedral as a sign.
1971 St. the Church of the Apostles Peter and Paul was granted the status of a cultural asset.
Varniai St. Excursions in the crypt of the Apostles Peter and Paul Church (only by prior arrangement at the specified phone number +370 687 87987)
Excursions are also conducted in Telšiai St. Antanas Paduvietis Cathedral, seminary of priests (only by prior arrangement at the specified phone number +370 616 01275)