Žemaitija Tourism Information Center

Samogitian Carillon

Art signs

Contact us

Idea author and organizer arch. - prof. Algirdas Žebrauskas.

The first small 23-bell Samogitian carillon in the territory of present-day Samogitia was cast in the famous European and world-famous Dutch bell-casting plant "ROYAL EIJSBOUTS" for the final 600m of Samogitian baptism. to commemorate the jubilee year (2013-2017). 1417m. for the only time in the world history of the Catholic Church, it was not the pope but the diocese of Constanta, the diocese of MEDININKAI, founded. The place chosen for her by the Duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Vytautas is in Varniai. 1864 Samogitian bishop M. Valančius and the Curia are deported from Varniai to Kaunas (an essential factor in the city's depletion). In the territory of the historical Samogitian diocese, 1926. After the establishment of the Lithuanian ecclesiastical province, the largest of the three dioceses remains the Telšiai diocese. The bishop's throne is established in St. In the Cathedral of Antanas Paduvietis, and the new diocese, starting with the prominent Bishop of Telšiai J.Staugaitis, continues the traditions of the historical Samogitian diocese (1417-1926).

You can hear the carillon in the Cathedral Square every day, every hour from 08:00 to 22:00.